Saturday, February 25, 2012

Couponing does/can pay off

     I am not overly frugal in the stocking up/saving on the grocery bill department, but I have been trying and today I saw some results worth mentioning.  I have decided I will never be one of those people that get almost everything for free, but my goal isn't to get things for free, it is to feed my family with a variety of foods, healthy choices especially for me because I need to lose weight.
      We went to Sam's Club and bought a few essentials, like boneless chicken breast. We have an extra freezer in the basement so we buy chicken and hamberg by the case. The chicken on sale is usually around 1.99lb at the local grocery stores, but by buying the case it was 1.62lb. That's huge savings around here. plus with my size family 40lbs will last us around two to three months, it just makes sense for us to buy this way.
     I had a plan, two stores, Tops and Price Chopper, three transactions(thankyou hubby for helping on this) for groceries based on sales and matched with my coupons. I also bought fresh veggies and fruits. So before savings my totals of all 3 stores(not including Sams) was almost $340.00 and after saving I spent around $170.00, basically I saved 50% with sales and coupons, plus I will get a few dollars in my Starsavings. My freezer is full, fridge isn't bare and the cupboards are stocked nicely. Basically if all goes well we will only need to go to the store for basics like milk and veggies for the next few weeks. I usually try to set aside a some money each week for big grocery trips like this. I also dipped into some of my earned monies from the surveys and stuff, not that it was that much but it does add up over time.
    Oh and last night I went to rite aid and got some toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, cold meds ect, basically spent $40 on about $90 worth of products, yes that was split transactions, again I planned on going more than once, just didn't work out that way, it was all stuff we needed, as we were out of everything and down to our last squeeze of toothpaste lol.

No comments: